News and Media
Wilson Homes launches a new range of NextGen architectural house
Published in The Mercury - August 10, 2017
TASMANIAN award-winning builder Wilson Homes has upped the ante with its new range of architectural NextGen houses.
Public interest was huge in the opening week with more than 500 people visiting the New Town property for the first open home.
Dubbed the St Tropez, the display home is located in Garrington Park Estate at the former Kemp and Denning’s brickworks site.
Forever home where every day is different
Published in The Mercury's Home Magazine - March 25, 2016
When Donna first approached Wilson Homes to build her dream home, she had her sights set on our high-end Cosmpolitan design. However, after a chat and some advice from one of our Draftspeople about building a home that makes full advantage of her site and surrounding vista, Donna’s new home has now exceeded those dreams. Making a few adjustments to the floor plan allowed Donna to really enjoy the stunning water views from specific areas of the home and to make the most of the lifestyle and location that she loves.
“It will be my ‘forever home’, so we needed to take the time and ensure it was perfect,” she said.
“We love it here, it is a very easy house to live in.” Foster family’s favourites wrapped up in one
Published in The Mercury's Home Magazine - July 17, 2015
Original article unfortunately now unavailable on news.com.au
WHEN the Foster family decided to build their Tranmere dream home it was designed with not just the needs of mum and dad in mind, but a sister and mother too.
Stephen and Charon Foster, Charon’s mum and sister all live at their Oceana Drive home, having moved in a few weeks ago.
Or, that was the plan at least, until son Ryan and his partner Karaleigh decided to move home from the US.
Now Charon’s sister will be getting a place of her own, mum Alison Page will be moving from the virtually self-contained space downstairs to upstairs and next month Ryan and Karaleigh will take over the ground floor.
It was Charon’s idea to bring the whole family together.
She said it was a family tradition.
“My father built a unit at his house for grandma to live in, and my grandparents had my great- grandparents living with them prior to that,” she said. “Obviously we all get on really well!”
Wish Home 2015 – Cambridge – Scott Wilson Interview on 7HO FM
New plans for old schools
Published in The Mercury - Tuesday 22nd July, 2014
Two multi-million dollar developments in Hobart’s northern suburbs will give new life to sites vacated as a result of school mergers. The former Abbotsfield Primary School site at Claremont has been vandalised since it cliosed almost four years ago. Wilson Homes has bought the site in partnership with Centacare Tasmania to build 55 units and communal facilities at a cost of between $10 million and $12 million. “It will be a new retirement village option for people in the northern suburbs.”" Wilson Homes managing director Ben Wilson said. “It’s a good level site with good access on to the highway and close to the Claremont shopping centre. We expect there will be pretty reasonable demand.”
In September last year the Sunday Tasmanian reported that the 3.1ha site, which included an oval and buildings and was for sale for $850,000, was covered in graffiti and had become an eyesore. Glenorchy mayor Stuart Slade said at the time that having abandoned buildings left to decay in the middle of suburbia brought down the mood of the community. The buildings cannot be demolished until the council approves the rezoning of the site from community use to residential. Yesterday Mr Slade told the Mercury the council welcomed all well planned developments in Glenorchy.
Wilson Homes has also bought the former Brent Street Primary School site in G1enorchy for mixed use development. Plans for the subdivision include 20 independent living units plus home-share properties to help low income earners buy their ﬁrst home. The Brent St School closed in 2009 when it merged with Glenorchy Primary. Mr Wilson said the Brent St development was also expected to exceed $10 million.
Builder Motors Ahead
Article Appeared in The Mercury – Friday, March 14th, 2014
Booming Construction company outgrows its home base.
During tough times for the construction industry, a Tasmanian company is forging ahead with expansion plans. Wilson Homes has bought what will soon be the former Jackson Motor Company headquarters in Hobart.
“We’re planning to do quite a significant showroom and selection centre for our clients” general manager Ben Wilson said. “We’ve completely outgrown our premises where we are at the moment. We currently have our staff operating in four different offices in Collins St so we’re looking forward to getting everyone under one roof.”
Mr Wilson said the company had been searching for two years following a sizeable increase in their market share. He said the State Government’s $30,000 First Home Builder’s Boost had been a successful kickstarter for the industry. “We’ve seen some increase in activity so it’s certainly been a benefit but I think all in all the latest statistics are showing that we’re potentially starting to see some improvement in the industry and hopefully that will continue after the grant too,” Mr Wilson said.
Wilson Homes will take over the Murray St premises in June after the new JMC building on the corner of Warwick St and Argyle St is completed.
Another big project is happening at the former Brewster’s hardware store, which was bought last year by Errol Stewart for $5 million and is part way through a $3 million redevelopment. The 13,000sq m site will include three showrooms and workshops plus a newly relocated Battery World store.
“As developers we are keen to see Hobart’s CBD retail sector improve and continue to grow,” Mr Stewart said. “We’re on track to complete the building part of the program probably in late May. There’s a fair bit of civil works to get through for our new car park and we think that will be done by mid-June so we’ve set an opening date of late June.”
House sale turns kids’ wishes into reality
Article Appeared in The Mercury – February 26th, 2014
MORE than $95,000 has been raised to grant wishes to terminally ill children following the sale of a Spreyton house. The Wilson Homes and K&D-built property went to auction on Saturday and while it did not attract a successful final bid, the home was later sold to a local buyer.
“After all the tremendous support in lowering the cost to build the home, we are pleased to announce we have raised $95,097,” Wilson Homes general manager Scott Wilson said. The profits from the sale will be presented to the Make A Wish Foundation this weekend at the HIA HomeFEST at Princes Wharf Shed No 1.
As many as 20 Tasmanian children with life-threatening illness could soon have their wish granted from the funds.
House sale to help grant wishes
Article Appeared in The Advocate – February 26th, 2014
Successful venture sees charity receive $95,000
GOING, going, sold. With the sale of the recently built house at Spreyton comes the granting of wishes for seriously ill children. Wilson Homes and K&D Warehouse approached the Make-A-Wish Foundation, donating their time and goods to the completion of the house. Now $95,000 from the sale will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Ben Wilson said the contract had been finalised, signifying the end of a worthwhile journey. He said the Tasmanian buyers of the house knew it was for a good cause. “They where certainly very supportive of the cause and they were aware of where the funds were going,” he said.
Mr Wilson reﬂected on the partnership with the Make- A-Wish Foundation. “It’s been an unbelievable process getting to know the Make-A-Wish volunteers and to meet the Make-A- Wish children. “You just get to understand how passionate the volunteers are towards the organisation.” Mr Wilson spoke of how incredible local suppliers, contractors and businesses were for donating their time and efforts to the project. “We certainly wouldn’t have raised this figure without their support,” Mr Wilson said. Devonport’s Make-A-Wish Branch President Aileen Lyons said she expected at least 12 wishes would be granted from the sale. “It will go back into the charity and it depends on the children who have already applied for a wish,” Mrs Lyons said. “It’s been absolutely incredible,” she said.